Moving can be a stressful and difficult time no matter how prepared you think you will be. Having a list can really help you to cut down on time spent organizing and packing up your belongings. Below is a step-by-step checklist for how to organize and execute your smoothest move ever.
Two months before moving
• Contact your local post office and schedule a date for your mail to be forwarded to your new address.
One month before moving
• Get all your moving supplies in order: purchase boxes, tape, labels, and markers etc.
• Sort through your items and clothing. Donate any unwanted items.
• Arrange cable, phone, and internet service at your new home.
• Change the address on the following items: drivers licenses, mail subscriptions, billing addresses, memberships, etc.
• If you are moving out of province or country, you will want to make travel arrangements and flight reservations.
• If you have children, you will want to register them with their new schools.
• Get copies of yours and your family’s medical and dental records.
• If moving with pets out of province or country, you will want to get copies of veterinary records.
One week before moving
• Decide what you will be needing for the first couple of weeks in your new home. You will want to pack a suitcase with all these necessities to avoid going through boxes searching for items.
• Set up the utilities in your new home, schedule a time for them to be shut off in your old home.
• Arrange large items to be moved such as televisions, stoves, and refrigerators.
The Day Before Moving
• Pack all your daily necessities such as phone chargers, toiletries, etc. in a small bag or box to have handy for the next day.
• If using a moving service, contact them to confirm the addresses and arrival times.
• Make sure your old home is clean and tidy before leaving.
• Do a final walk through of your place before embarking on your journey to your new home!